Friday 22 January 2010

Daring Cardmakers - What's the Point?

.
No, don’t worry, I’m not giving up on this crazy existence that is my life, it’s just the title to the new dare set by Kathy over at the Daring Cardmakers. Lol!
.
What's the Point?

I'd like to see cards featuring points or pointers of some kind - the hands of a clock, arrows, pointing fingers, view-points, pointy stars, pointy ears (hehe), pencil points.... maybe pins and needles could also be incorporated into your designs
.

Well there always has to be an inspiration, a starting point that leads you to the form your card is going to take and in this case my inspiration was a picture of a wooden floor that had a marquetry compass set into it.

It started me thinking about a travel theme and my initial thought, which passed quickly I’m pleased to say, was to try my very own piece of marquetry and paper piece a compass myself. In the end I decided that it would be too fiddly and just went down the decoupage root instead but I still think it’s quite effective.
.
.As is my usual style, I covered my card blank with some paper that had an old map of the world on it and then I set about stamping the side panels.
First I covered the cream card with a few colours of Distress ink and the stamped with various travel related stamps before cutting the panels to size and layering them on to Navy card.

The greeting and the directions on the compass were letter stickers that came in a QVC kit years ago and there’s the obligatory faux stitching that seems to be popping up on all of my card just lately.
.
.
A5 Card Blank – Craft Creations (Embossed Hammer)
Patterned Paper – Memory Stor (Costco Kit)
Inks –Ranger Adirondack (Denim) Distress Ink (Weathered Wood, Vintage Photo & Antique Linen)
Rubber Stamps – Tanda (Transport Set 1) Clear Choice (Journey Set)

Other StuffEyelets
Large Brad
Fine Navy pen for faux stitching
Letter Stickers for Greeting
.

10 comments:

Lythan said...

this card is lovely Sue. It looks like it could have come from the pages of Craft Stamper as it is a real work of art!

Julia Dunnit said...

still looks fiddly to me, but it works a treat Sue.

Rika said...

Fabulous card Sue!

Lynda said...

I love nautical and seaside cards Sue and this is just perfect. Love everything about it - I agree with Lythan it is a work of art.

Love Lynda xxx

Twiglet said...

wow that is stunning Sue. Well done you.
A x
ps our shop shelves are now full if you fancy checking them out and there is a shop gift draw going on :-)

Annie said...

oops Twiglet was here and had signed on to my computer so I've been leaving messages everywhere in her name. Sorry.
A x

Anonymous said...

This is just fabulous, you've put so much work into it. :) I agree with Lythan, looks like its from the front page of Craft Stamper.

I think I have those stickers too.

Vanessa.

Kathy said...

I just love the way you've put this together. A compass was one of the ideas I thought of and rejected - knowing I didn't have anything to make it work. I'm really glad I did something else because you have done the bestest job here, Sue!

Maria Matter said...

Sue, this is just magnificent!!!!

love it!!!
blessings, Maria

tiggertastic said...

wow amazing work , i love the creative idea on using the paper to make the compass

sarah x