Thursday 30 August 2012

Feeling Old

At the start of October my big brother will be sixty five and he’s decided to take retirement.

He made the decision to pack up this year after the firm he works for moved premises, which changed his five minute commute to a forty-five minute one on a day  (which are few and far between) and up to an hour and twenty minutes on a bad one, which turned out to be most days.

I  am pleased for him because he really hates all the extra time spent traveling but the thought that he's retiring makes me realize that we are the older generation now, which is not a nice thought. But then again, there’s nine years between us and I’m still the ‘baby’ of the family really so I guess I shouldn’t let it get to me too much…….not yet, anyway!

So, with his birthday and retirement in mind I need to make two card for him and there’s also the possibility that my other brother will ask me to do the same for him too, so this morning I thought I’d get a head of the game, just in case.

For my starting point I decided to use this template from the Here Come The Boys  challenge.


I thought I would go with a vintage feel and have used up lots of my old stash, some of which has been hanging around since I started making cards seven years ago, like the lovely old car.
That was a sheet from a book of Heritage Vellums by Hot Off The Press.


Other old stash includes the papers that are from the DCWV 'The Natural Stack', the tiny brads and the three buttons which I've given a makeover to by colouring them with Promarkers.


I’m entering this into the following challenges:-

Hooked On Craft– Cards for men

Kaboodle Doodles – Tribute to Someone Older 
top3


I actually love the sketch so much that I made another birthday card using it but I can’t link this one to any of the above challenges because it doesn’t fit the brief, but I just wanted to share it with you.



For this one I’ve used a scrap of old ‘In the Meadow’ paper from Daisy Bucket and combined it with some of the new Craftworks Cards Distressed Pad and also a greeting and some paper from their Sweet Pea Collection.


Thanks for stopping by and ..............

Happy Crafting!

Sue
x

10 comments:

Annie said...

You've done a fab job with this card Sue.
Hugs,
A x

Unknown said...

what stunning cards. so love the first one!!! thanks for playing along with us at kaboodle doodle challenge

Michelle Looi said...

This is so nice! Love how the browns all worked together, and just fitting to the theme this week.
Thanks for sharing at Kaboodle Doodle!
~Michelle

Diary Card Fairy said...

So sweet card. Thanks to joining us at the kaboodle challenge.

Craftdee said...

What great uses of the sketch for the Here Come The Boys challenge! So glad you liked it, and showed us how different cards can look even when using the same sketch. Good luck and hope to see you next time too, Donna

Anonymous said...

I really love your cards, both of them are great, Thanks for joining us at Here come the boys, good luck with your entry Mandz xox

Kathleen (Kath) B. Hernandez said...

Wonderful card! I love the fiber and all the browns and how vintage your card looks. Thanks for joining us at Kaboodle Doodles’ “Tribute to Someone Older than Us” Challenge!

Kath
Blog: Creo by Lady Katutz
http://creobyladykatutz.blogspot.com/

brenda said...

Hi Sue, the leafy swirl die is made by Cheery Lyn, I wasn't able to put the link at the bottom of my post as it's out of stock at the moment, that was from Joanna Sheen.

But sure you can get it somewhere. Should also mention it comes in two sizes the one I used is the larger of the two.

Great cards BTW.

B x

Liz Weber said...

Hi there, your male card is wonderful and I love the vintage theme, thanks so very much for sharing with us at Hooked on Craft.

Liz Weber
Hooked on Craft Design Team

Unknown said...

wow - gorgeous cards Sue! I LOVE the colours of that 2nd card - my favourite!

Paula x x x